Dae Bak Korean BBQ

With all the K-pop waves, it was not a surprise to see a number of Korean food restaurants popping up here and there in this town. The number of Korean food restaurants in Medan are not more than the fingers on both of your hands, but will this number increase, remain the same, or perhaps, decrease? I would list out the restaurants here for you: Angry Korean BBQ, K-Pot, Zing Do, Dae Bak Korean BBQ, and Itcho Sushi (Itcho Sushi maybe a Japanese restaurant but it served Korean food too. You have to request them. Many of the Korean food were not on the menu.).

The first time I knew the existence of this place was when I saw a congratulatory column on the news paper. The sender (the one who put up the advertising) was a friend of mine. Because of my huge curiosity, I called my friend and asked him about this place. He told me that this restaurant was a joint venture of his friend and his friend's friend. His friend's friend was a Korean. My friend told me that his friend said that the dish served in this restaurant would not be modified (fusion-ed) to suit the taste of the people here. The restaurant would serve authentic Korean cuisine.

As soon as I heard the word authentic, I was intrigued. I wondered if the business will survive because authentic Korean food...authentic Korean food are not as tasty or do not use as many seasoning as Indonesian food. You might feel tempted when you watched Korean dramas or variety shows where the actors or actresses eating Korean dish but trust me, they were not as good as they look. Most of the Korean food were mainly sour and a little bit smelly. But as I try not to be cynical or skeptical, I asked two of my friends to accompany me to eat here. Mainly because they were my only friend who were willing to get fats with me (read: eating barbecued meat = fats).





Terribly sorry because I have totally forgotten the name of the dish. BUT they were serious when they said "authentic Korean cuisine". Except that they used more chili than average Korean food. I think this was the only difference between the food served here and the authentic Korean cuisine.

Really, really, love the kimchi! Very sour and the spiciness was perfect. This was by far my most favourite Korean BBQ restaurant in Medan.

We tried the soju (which I have forgotten the brand but there was a poster of the drink). You should try them too. The soju was good. It tasted sweet yet mild. Not too sweet that made you worried of getting diabetes. Usually, in winter, people would drink that to warm their bodies. The soju has low percentage of alcohol, so worry not!

Dae Bak Korean BBQ
Jln. Timor
Komp. Jati Junction No.:T1-T2
Tel.: +62 61 80501700
Medan - North Sumatra - Indonesia

No comments:

Post a Comment